Friday, October 30, 2015

My Car

Car enthusiasts are asked a lot of questions.  "What is your favorite car?" or, "what car do you recommend I buy?"  A question that is less frequently asked is, "What kind of car do you have?"  As connoisseurs of automobiles shouldn't it be expected that we own the best cars?  Not necessarily.  Sometimes fate and fortune put less than perfect cars into our possession.  My car is a 2006 Chevy Malibu Maxx SS.  I purchased it from a neighbor who was selling it before a move.  He knew I needed a car and gave me a wonderful deal on it.  I knew it was in excellent condition considering it was washed every weekend and sat on a mat inside my neighbor's garage.  The car became mine on Halloween last year.  Since then, it has become a valued travelling companion as I drive between home, work, and school.


The Malibu Maxx SS was introduced at a time when Chevrolet was proliferating its fabled Super Sport badge.  Cobalts, HHRs, Impalas, Monte Carlos, and even Trailblazers were all getting the SS treatment.  More than just a badge job, the SS transformation included an updated powertrain.  At the heart of that is a 3.9 liter V6 engine making 240 horsepower.  A three spoke leather wrapped steering wheel, sport cloth and leather seats, chrome trimmed instruments, twin exhaust pipes, 18 inch alloy wheels, a rear spoiler, side skirts, more aggressive front and rear clips and a honeycomb grill complete the visual differentiation from lesser models.


Performance and appearance is secondary to the best part of the Maxx body style, that being the second row seats.  The seat backs recline in three positions and twin skylights with shades are much appreciated by occupants.  Cargo capacity is a generous 23 cubic feet with the seats up and 41 cubic feet with the seats down.


The thing that I like the most about the Malibu Maxx SS is how exclusive it is.  At best guess based on searching the Internet, only 2,899 were built in 2006 and 2,636 were sold.  The car was only on sale for two years, so it can be estimated that no more than six thousand were ever built.  Indeed I only ever recall seeing one other on the road.  The driver of the other one gave me a friendly honk in acknowledgement as he drove past. 


Everyone wants a flashy sports car to drive around in, but that is not always the most practical choice for certain climates.  I am very happy with my car.  It is a rare vehicle that I enjoy driving, and I hope it will serve me well for several more years.          

No comments:

Post a Comment